Thursday, May 25, 2006

Suggestions for summer reading

These look to be books worth looking into by Justin Mitcham. They both look intriguing:

The Sweet Everlasting
Sabbath Creek

I think I'll re-read Harper Lee's To Kill A Mockingbird once more this summer, or C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. Hmmm...gives me an idea.

What is on everyone's summer reading list, if anything? I plan on continuing with the Loyola Classics series that I've been digging into. Next up is Helena, by Evelyn Waugh.

A partial list, just for fun:

Parnassus On Wheels, by Christopher Morley
The Haunted Bookshop, by Christopher Morley (sequel to above)
The Wonder Clock, by Howard Pyle
Travels With Charley: In Search of America, by John Steinbeck
Leisure: The Basis of Culture, by Josef Pieper
The Pianist, by Wladyslaw Szpilman
Gates of Fire: The Battle of Thermopylae, by Steven Pressfiel
Everything That Rises Must Converge, by Flannery O'Connor
Christ In Dachau, by John M. Lenz
Luckiest Man: The Life and Death of Lou Gehrig, by Johathan Eig

What's on your shelf for the summer? I'd love to know.

2 Comments:

At 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds good! Presently, I'm reading reflections in Gladsome Light, a monastery newsletter which I hope will be made into a book, but as for books:

Halfway through my slogging, the heart's beating a little faster, finally, over the story of Anna Maria Taigi, mystic, mother, housewife.

I love anything Bodo (Murray Bodo, O.F.M., St. Anthony Messenger Press)

Finding God in All Things, Wm. Barry, SJ (I love the Jesuits)

Again/still/still/again: Thomas Merton, No Man Is An Island. A monk who found he didn't have to kick everyone else out in order to love God. I love this book.

I haven't read anything just for fun in eons, but when I do, it's always non-fiction. Most recent: May Sarton, Journal of a Solitude.

Let us know how Helena was, 'k?

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I'm having a heck of a time settling on something to read...my mind is everywhere it seems. So I've currently settled on "1776"...we'll see how that goes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home