Sunday, December 11, 2005

All I want for Christmas is another roll of duct tape

While I quietly groan at the stories of Christians becoming very aggressive in their defense of Christmas and the overtly-consumeristic and secularistic use of the holiday (that's "holy day"), I certainly do defend their wanting to do this. I am as sick of the hijacking of this most precious and sacred of days as anyone.

But just when I think I've come to a peace with all of it and am able to separate the two, an article like this comes along and finds me scrambling for my duct tape in a frantic effort to wrap it around my head to keep the pieces from exploding all over the living room. Such is the case when I read the secularization of the lyrics of Silent Night:
For a performance in its "winter program," a Wisconsin elementary school has changed the beloved Christmas carol "Silent Night," calling the song "Cold in the Night" and secularizing the lyrics.

According to Liberty Counsel, a religious-liberty law firm representing a student's parent, kids who attend Ridgeway Elementary School in Dodgeville, Wis., will sing the following lyrics to the tune of "Silent Night":

Cold in the night, no one in sight,
winter winds whirl and bite,
how I wish I were happy and warm,
safe with my family out of the storm.

2 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How completely ridiculous.

Offering you duct tape and Dicken's A Christmas Carol to balm the grey matter.

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's the second verse, dare one ask? It's always been my thought that upon hearing this carol, even those who cannot understand all the words still know their meaning, and have to stop, even in the midst of battle, to listen to it. Gerard Manley Hopkins' "God's Grandeur" rushes to mind.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home