Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What does she tell her three kids who she let live?

Truly one of the saddest stories or attempts at justifying abortion that I have EVER read. And I've read some doozies. Moral blindness being excused as being "adult". Words fail me. 

From Mere Comments:

Donna Schaper says she's a grown-up, a pastor, and a murderer. She claims all three labels, and is not apologizing for any of them.

Rev. Schaper, pastor of Judson Memorial Church in New York City, wrote a recent article for the liberal Jewish monthly Tikkun about the abortion she had nineteen years ago. She says she's "neither bragging nor apologizing."

Schaper says that her abortion was the right choice, since she and her husband had young twins at the time. "Because women are mature sexual beings who make choices," she writes. "Birth control and abortion are positive moral forces in history. They allow sex to be both procreational and recreational, for both men and women." As a matter of fact, as Schaper sees it, abortion doesn't have anything to do with babies. "The drama of the abortion battle is not about unborn babies at all," she writes. "Instead it is about women and sex."

But she doesn't really believe that. Schaper spends most of this article writing about an unborn baby. She even names the aborted child, "Alma," which means soul. She also admits that what she did was the taking of a human life. She even calls it murder:

"I did what was right for me, for my family, for my work, for my husband, and for my three children. I happen to agree that abortion is a form of murder. I think the quarrel about when life begins is disrespectful to the fetus. I know I murdered the life within me. I could have loved that life but chose not to. I did what men do all the time when they take us to war: they choose violence because, while they believe it is bad, it is still better than the alternatives."

It is sad and sobering to read this pastor defend abortion by writing: "When I made my choice to end Alma's life, I was behaving as an adult." It is even sadder to read her conclusion that: "It was a human life. That's why we named her, wanted her, but also knew we did not want her enough." This choice empowered Schaper to be a grownup, and that's why legal abortion is, in her words, "the best policy conceivable for men and women and for mature, moral sexuality."

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such sentiments as hers live as maggots in the unmourned graves of aborted children. I cannot help wondering, even before her analogy to choices made in war, if the mindset and "justifications" of warring are what seeded such a disrespect for life.

As you say, what will she tell the other children? If I were one of them and knew of the brother or sister who was killed, there would come a day in my life that I would not trust her with my life, either.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home