Thursday, April 29, 2004

SIXTY-SEVEN PERCENT

Thank goodness for scientists like physicist Stephen Unwin.

A scientist has calculated that there's a 67-percent chance that God exists. With the help of a 200-year-old formula normally used to calculate the occurrence of catastrophic events, physicist Stephen Unwin has come up with his remarkable conclusion.

Dr Unwin, who now works as a risk assessor in Ohio, says his theory starts from the assumption that God has a 50/50 chance of existing, and then he factors in the evidence both for and against the notion of a higher being.


So there ya go. There's a 2/3 chance that God does in fact exist. Pascal's Wager is an even better bet now thanks to Dr. Unwin.

Another curious argument of Pascal's is that which is known as the argument of the wager. God exists or He does not exist, and we must of necessity lay odds for or against Him.

If I wager for and God is -- infinite gain;
If I wager for and God is not -- no loss.
If I wager against and God is -- infinite loss;
If I wager against and God is not -- neither loss nor gain.

In the second case there is an hypothesis wherein I am exposed to the loss of everything. Wisdom, therefore, counsels me to make the wager which insures my winning all or, at worst losing nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home