Wednesday, April 28, 2004

THE LATIN MASS

I've never been able to attend a Latin Mass, despite my desire to do so. My schedule hasn't allowed me to...yet. But it's still high on my list of things to do. I think I love the music the most. The Gregorian chants. At St. John's, we will use the Latin responses now and then: the Sanctus, Agnus Dei, etc. It took me awhile to learn the Latin, but I now love to sing the Latin responses. There's a beauty, mystery and sacredness about them.

The Greenville (S.C.) News online has a nice article on one church at which the Latin rite is used.

You can also print out your own copy of the Ordinary of the Mass: 1962 edition of the Tridentine Ordo.

"In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

Although the congregation of about 100 isn't filled with Latin scholars, everyone knows that means, "In the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." Many worshippers follow along in a Latin-English missal to get the translation.

It's not only the language that is different in this liturgy. Among the more visible changes is the priest facing the altar rather than the congregation when consecrating the bread and wine — the ancient tradition which puts the focus on offering the sacrifice to God.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home