Monday, May 30, 2005

FINALLY. STAR WARS DONE RIGHT

On Saturday night, I took my son to see "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith." (Hmmm....Star Wars: ROTS? What an unfortunate anacronym.) THIS is the movie I have been waiting for from Geoerge Lucas since 1983 after seeing "Return of the Jedi." I did not see the first two installments of this current "prequel" trilogy in theaters, but on DVD and have to say that quite honestly: they stunk. However, Episode III, while a little slow in the beginning, ended with a flourish and transformed me once again into a teenager, finally watching a fitting end to the great story of his youth. Once again, I was a little boy. Thank you George.

As for the hype in the press about the movie being a dig at President Bush or having some similar agenda, I say poppycock. There was as much anti-Bush in this movie as their was anti-Semiticism in "The Passion of the Christ." If you have an agenda, or want to stir up viewers for higher ratings, I guess you say what you have to say.

I didn't read The Lord of the Rings until this year, and will begin Narnia later this summer. So for me, the Star Wars saga was the great story of my childhood. And finally Mr. Lucas made my inner-child smile. Bravo!

A few interesting notes: Driving home I mentioned to my son that I saw the first Star Wars movie in 1977 at the drive-in theater with my parents. I was nine. Nolan saw the final Star Wars movie in the theater at the age of....nine.

Speaking of Narnia, easily the best trailer that was shown prior to the movie was the trailer for "Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe" due in theaters Dec. 9. Wow! I had viewed this trailer online having downloaded it, but on the big screen? Took my breath away. I cannot wait.

The others were for "War of the Worlds", "The Fantastic Four", "Cinderella Man", and "The Adventures of Shark-boy & Lava-girl in 3-D." I've read the first, loved the second as a comic while a child, am interested in seeing the third, and have NO desire to see the fourth, although I may end up going as a chaperone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home