Friday, July 22, 2005

"BE OF CHEER, ME HEARTIES!"

I came across a blogger from my hometown today, Fonticulus Fides, and I'm PUMPED! Amazing how I can communicate with people around the world and it doesn't phase me anymore, but finding someone right here in Lincoln? How cool is that? Nevermind that I had to go around the world to end up back here.

Anyhow, she had a link to a funny satirical website which I took some time to look through, and found an "article" that absolutely made me laugh out loud. I remember when the morning DJs from Z-92 (rock and roll) out of Omaha used to speak "pirate." I was a senior in high school at Schuyler High then, and a bunch of us spent the rest of the day speaking like this, much to the consternation of poor Mrs. Mentzer in English Lit. One of those "you had to be there" stories.

This one's for my good friend-at-the-time Shannon....wherever she is today. Arrrrrrrgh!!!
OAK RIDGE, Tenn. — Sam Brobst took a "Learning Your Spiritual Gift" course at Full Life Center, a charismatic church, and felt the Lord leading him to prophesy during meetings. But when Brobst opened his mouth the first time, he and others were surprised by what came out: pirate speak.

"We were in the middle of worship, when this voice rings out, 'Yar! Hear the word of the Lord — the Lord of the mighty seas!'" says one witness. "It was straight out of a Disneyland ride."

Brobst says he can't help it: when the Spirit moves upon him, he clamps one eye shut and his voice becomes gravelly and menacing. On a recent Sunday, he prophesied, "Avast ye, mateys! Hear the word from our Cap'n: No fear have ye of storms and scallywags, says ye? Argh! But I be seein' your true hearts. For I see below quarterdecks, says I. Ye be tremblin' in the face of scurvy dogs. But pay them no heed. For I be preparin' to pour down plenty o' booty upon ye. So be of cheer, me hearties! Ye be loved of the Cap'n."

The people of the church by now are accustomed to it, though first-time visitors often giggle.

"It doesn't even sound like pirate to me anymore," says one regular attendee. "My mind translates it."

Others say it's preferable to past prophetic styles they have witnessed.

"One woman would wail her prophecies," says longtime member Darlene Bright. "Another man would thunder in a deep voice like he was trying to impress us. All in all, I prefer pirate."

2 Comments:

At 3:24 PM, Blogger Sparki said...

< giggle >

Oh, Jeff, I came out of a pentacostal/charismatic background. I've witnessed one poor lady prophesying in tamborine!

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

Ummmmm....really? And I thought a Polka Mass was odd (and I'm Czech!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home