Monday, July 25, 2005

JUST FOR FUN

Saw this on Fonticulus Fides, and added the book category:

What I was doing 10 years ago… I was wrapping up my final season as baseball coach of the two high school teams out in western Nebraska. We were getting ready to host the District Tournament, wrap the post-season up, and begin packing and planning our move back to Lincoln, Nebraska. My wife was five months pregnant with our first child.

Five years ago… I was into my second year of publishing a local paper and was serving as president of my local BNI chapter for business leaders. Nolan was four years old and already looking forward to Kindergarten. We were struggling financially to get out of a big hole we had dug financially, but were still happy about things. We were also heading into our second year as Godparents in the Godteen program with our sophomores.

One year ago… Hmmmm….Jonah was about to turn one year old, Nolan was going to be starting third grade soon, and I was nearing my one year anniversary at TAG. We were also celebrating our second summer in our new home purchased in May 2003, and I was celebrating the resurgent Red Sox as they went on a tear of a winning streak that would carry them all the way through to the World Series Championship.

Yesterday… Was a take-it-easy day at our home, due mostly to Nolan’s recovery from strep throat, as well as the stifling heat index outside. We attended the 10:30 mass, deciding to forego the 2pm Rededication Mass with the Bishop. Finalized shopping for school supplies for Nolan, I studied several chapters for my upcoming LOMA exam at work, and watched the Sox lose to the White Sox 6-4.

5 snacks I enjoy
(I rarely snack, but if I do…)
Pop Tarts
Ice cream
String Cheese
Popcorn
Doritos

5 songs I know all the words to:
(Just five?)
Hotel California - The Eagles
Dirty Laundry - Don Henley
Ducktales Theme Song - Disney
Arthur Theme Song - PBS
Every Nanci Griffith song through 1998 (I haven't purchased her latest CDs yet)


5 last books I've read or am currently reading:
The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen
The Piano Shop on the Left Bank by Thad Carhart
Wise Blood by Flannery O'Conner
And God Said "Play Ball!" by Gary Graf
The Killing of Chief Crazy Horse: Three Eyewitness Views by Robert A. Clark

5 things I would do with a million dollars
Pay off the last of our debt
Set up educational funds for my kids
Donate to our parish school endowment fund, as well as our parish’s endowment
Establish a retirement fund for my wife and I
Establish a scholarship fund or two at our grade school, high school and alma mater.

5 locations I’d like to run away to:
Rome
South Dakota
Alaska
Czechoslovakia
Wales

5 bad habits I have
Procrastination
Impatience
Perfection (trying to be)
Talking too much
Staying Focused

5 things I like doing
Reading
Writing
Talking to people
Baseball
Researching via the internet

5 things I will never wear
(these were the five things listed by the woman I got this from, so I’ll just use hers)
Stiletto heels
Bikini
Spandex
Nose ring
Very long, shellacked fingernails

5 TV shows I like
Pardon the Interruption on ESPN
The Waltons (never said they had to be current shows)
Hogan’s Heroes
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Star Trek: The Original Series & The Next Generation

5 biggest joys of the moment
Being employed
My family
My Catholicity
The stack of books I’m getting set to read next to my bed
Our home and yard

5 favorite toys
Hmmm….my computer at home
My smoker (having discovered this summer the joys of meat, apricot wood chunks, coal, and seven hours of prime cooking time…mm mm mmm).
Our piano


Sheesh…this alone has revealed to me that I don’t play nearly enough anymore. I need to rectify this big time.

If you’re reading this and having answered, consider yourself tagged! (Use the comments box if you don’t have a blog of your own…)

1 Comments:

At 4:43 PM, Blogger Sparki said...

Ah, Jeff! You're scaring me with the similarities. You're at TAG -- I used to work for Ameritas! I was in corporate communications, though, so I never took the LOMA exams, just reported on the lucky folks who passed them. The baseball, the local newspaper bit, the Flannery O'Connor novel, the joy of smoked meat...gee willikers!

Do you mind saying what parish you are in? Are your kids going to Catholic school?

Wouldn't it be funny if our families had already bumped into each other IRL -- possibly during Mass with squalling little ones in arm?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home