Tuesday, August 16, 2005

TAKING TIME TO THINK

Back on August 3rd, I had mentioned that I needed a "break" so to speak, from the deafening noise that is American political discourse. I might add that I also needed a break from the left/right or liberal/traditional etc. conversations within our own Catholic Christian camp. Either way, silence I craved and sorely needed.

Since then I've read at least two other bloggers make mention of the same. The Anchoress and An American Housewife. I'm sure there are more, I just haven't found them yet.

I still feel this way, and still have a ways to go, but it is getting better. Ever since I began reading "The Soul of the Apostolate" (also available at TAN books here) more than three years ago (I have read probably 50 books in between, but this book is so rich I can only do 2 pages at a time), I realized that I had no interior life whatsoever. I studied apologetics, my faith, and was in the pew each Sunday and a few times during the week. But something huge was missing: my conversations with God through prayer.

I began an hour of adoration 1-3 times a week. I had my weekly men's rosary group. And I began praying the Liturgy of the Hours. But I still was staying so "busy" with things that at times I was going through the motions instead of just sitting down and having a "heart-to-heart" with God...and LISTENING when I was done talking.

I've talked before about how I have three words written on a Post-It note on my monitor at the office:

Contemplation
Communion
Mission


My mission is not going to happen if I am incapable of completing the first two steps along the way, which Dom Jean-Baptiste Chautard writes about often in his book. How can I go anyplace (Mission) or help anyone (Communion) if at first I haven't taken the time to listen, discern and reflect upon my counsel from Him? The truth is, I can't. I've tried it that way for years and years before finally having it drawn out for me. And it does work...much better in fact.

But I'd begun to have His voice get drowned out in all the clutter...the noise...the ugliness of this world. I crave beauty...silence...peace. The ability to remain quiet long enough to THINK.

Can you just imagine what the world would be like if we took one hour per week...nay...per DAY and simply reflected upon the lessons learned that day? To examine our consciences?

I'm trying to do my part anyhow. I'm glad to be in the good company of the bloggers I mentioned above. Very glad indeed.

Anyone else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home