Wednesday, August 17, 2005

WHILE THINKING, I DO THIS...

A few months ago, I decided to pick up a $10 "make your own rosary" kit at Gloria Deo so that my 9-year-old son and I would have something to do on a rainy weekend. We both enjoyed it, although it was a little harder using only some well-worn needle nose pliers and I believe a pair of tweezers. But we made it and had fun.

That only gave me the bug to do more. I was looking for a little hobby to do anyhow and thought that this would be a neat thing to do. Along the way, I picked up the proper pliers and tools for the job at my local Hobby Lobby, and stumbled across a wonderful website from which to design and order parts:
The Rosary Shop.

Since then I've made about a half-dozen rosaries and plan on doing more, but also branching into rosary bracelets, chaplets, etc. I've had fun designing them and putting them together. Below are samples of two that I build, one for my wife and one for me.


(Click on images for larger photo)

This rosary I designed for my devotion to St. Maximilian Kolbe. I used 8mm garnet stones (I was born in January) for the Our Father beads, and 8mm silver rose petal beads for the Hail Marys. The centerpiece is a St. Max medal, and the crucifix is what's known as a "penal" cross. Since St. Max was martyred in the prison of Auschwitz, I thought it appropriate.

Janell, however, thought I'd made a very "masculine" rosary, and wanted something softer for her own. So I came up with this:



I went with gold plating for the chain, pins, centerpiece and crucifix. I used 8mm pearls for the Our Father beads, and a 6mm SW Emerald crystal (the birthstone for May) for the Hail Mary beads. The centerpiece represents the Holy Family, with a pretty gold crucifix that she liked.

This is not necessarily an inexpensive hobby to be sure, but I enjoy praying the rosary while making them, and the challenge of designing each one especially for the person I'll be giving it to. When finished, the rosary will come in a satin white pouch with a holy card (if they told me of a favorite saint), and rosary instructions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home